Unlocking the Power of Data with Looker Studio: A Comprehensive Guide
If you're new to Looker Studio, feel free to learn more about them here
A quick note: Here at Devhaus, we provide comprehensive Digital Transformation Solutions for Growth & Product Leaders.
How Much Does Looker Cost?
As a Google Cloud product, the cost of Looker varies based on a number of factors, such as your specific business needs, user count, and the scale of data you're working with. Pricing details are not publicly available and are typically provided through direct contact with the Looker sales team. However, it's essential to remember that the value of Looker lies in its powerful data visualization and analytics capabilities that provide real-time insights, enabling data-driven decisions across all departments in your organization.
Google Analytics vs Looker: What's the Difference?
Google Analytics and Looker are both powerful tools but serve different purposes in your tech stack. Google Analytics focuses on tracking and reporting website traffic. It's an essential tool for understanding user behavior, with metrics such as page views, bounce rates, and conversions.
On the other hand, Looker is a modern platform for data that leverages the power of SQL to explore, analyze, and share business insights. Its real-time data exploration allows teams to ask and answer their own questions, leading to more informed decisions.
While Google Analytics provides valuable insights about your web traffic, Looker can ingest that data and blend it with data from other sources, providing a more comprehensive view of your business.
The Most Powerful Aspect of Google Data Studio
Google Data Studio stands out for its data visualization capabilities. It allows you to create informative, easy-to-read, and interactive reports and dashboards with data from various sources. Its strongest feature is its seamless integration with other Google products and a wide array of third-party sources, simplifying the process of aggregating and visualizing your data in one place.
Here's a quick overview video of Looker Studio
Top Comparisons of Looker Studio
According to G2, top competitors and alternatives to Looker include Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, and QlikView. While these tools all offer robust data visualization and analysis features, Looker stands out for its powerful data modeling layer, LookML. This feature allows businesses to define business metrics, relationships, and derivations in a SQL-based language, ensuring consistent metrics across the organization.
Use Cases: Looker Studio for SEO Reporting from Google Search Console
Looker Studio provides an excellent platform for SEO reporting. You can easily connect Looker with Google Search Console to create comprehensive SEO reports. These reports can track your website's organic search performance, including metrics like click-through rates, impressions, and average position in search results. By leveraging Looker's capabilities, you can dive deep into your data, identify trends and insights, and make data-driven decisions to enhance your SEO strategy. For more details, refer to this article.
Use Cases: Looker Studio for SEO Reporting from Google Analytics 4
Using Looker Studio, you can connect with Google Analytics 4 to access and analyze key SEO metrics such as user engagement, bounce rates, and conversions. You can create custom dashboards to visualize these metrics and uncover insights in real-time. With Looker, you can also blend this data with other sources to understand the full picture of your SEO performance and identify opportunities for improvement. For more information, check out this guide.
Here's a great video to showcase how you can create your own SEO dashboard from Google Search Console, to Looker Studio
This Video was prepared by Gaille over at Gaille Reports
To connect Google Search Console to Looker Studio and view your SEO performance data, follow these steps:
Step 1: Generate Google Cloud ProjectFirst, create a Google Cloud project to generate an API key that will allow Looker to connect to the Google Search Console.
- Visit the Google Cloud Console.
- Click on the "Select a project" drop-down at the top of the page, then click "New Project."
- Provide a name for your project, then click "Create."
Step 2: Enable Google Search Console APIOnce you've created a Google Cloud Project, you need to enable the Search Console API for it.
- In your Google Cloud Console, navigate to the "Library."
- In the search bar, type "Search Console API" and select it from the list.
- Click "Enable."
Step 3: Create CredentialsNext, create credentials that Looker will use to connect to the Google Search Console.
- In the Google Cloud Console, navigate to the "Credentials" section under "APIs & Services."
- Click on the "Create credentials" button, then select "Service account."
- Fill in the details and create the service account.
- Once created, click on the service account, go to the "Keys" tab, and create a new key. Choose the JSON option, and a JSON key file will be downloaded.
Step 4: Grant Permissions in Google Search ConsoleNow you need to give the service account permission to access your data in the Search Console.
- Log in to your Google Search Console account.
- Go to "Settings," then "Users and permissions."
- Click on the "Add user" button.
- Enter the email address for the service account you created (found in the JSON key file) and grant "Full" permission, then click "Add."
Step 5: Connect Looker to Google Search ConsoleFinally, set up the connection in Looker.
- Log in to your Looker account and navigate to "Admin," then "Connections."
- Click on the "New Connection" button.
- Fill in the details:
- Name: A name for this connection (e.g., "Google Search Console").
- Dialect: Select "Google Sheets."
- Service Account JSON: Paste the entire contents of the JSON key file you downloaded earlier.
- Test the connection, and if everything is set up correctly, it should be successful.
Once the connection is set up, you can now build Looker views and explore based on your Google Search Console data to analyze your SEO performance. Remember that Looker's powerful data exploration and visualization tools can provide you with deep insights to drive your SEO strategy.
Where to Learn Looker Studio for Free
Several resources offer free learning materials for Looker Studio, including:
- Looker Documentation: This is a comprehensive resource providing detailed guides on using Looker and its various features.
- Looker Community: This platform offers forums where you can interact with other Looker users and experts, ask questions, and share knowledge.
- Looker YouTube Channel: Here, you'll find tutorials and webinars covering a wide range of topics.
- Google Cloud Training on Coursera: Offers free courses on data management and analytics, including Looker.
We've include a great Looker Studio Hacks for BI use-cases. Disclaimer: It's pretty advanced, if you're new to Looker Studio - we'd advice you skip it for now and revisit this article again ( Yup, we're hinting you to bookmark this page and come back again soon <3 )
Where to Find Looker Studio Templates for Free
- Looker Marketplace: A platform to access a variety of Looker-related resources, including free templates.
- Github: Many Looker users and experts share their custom Looker templates here.
- Looker Community: You can find shared templates and ideas from the community of Looker users.
The Value Proposition of Looker Studio
Looker Studio stands as a powerful, flexible, and scalable data platform. It provides real-time insights, allowing you to make informed decisions promptly. Its robust integration capabilities mean you can aggregate and analyze data from various sources in one place. Looker Studio is a must-have tool in your tech stack, and it's free to start, making it an excellent choice for organizations of all sizes.
How Devhaus Can Help with your Looker Studio needs
At Devhaus, we believe in the transformative power of data. We can help you structure your Looker Studio analytics for optimal results, guiding you through setting up and implementing Looker in your tech stack. Our team of experts can work closely with you to identify key metrics and create custom reports and dashboards tailored to your specific needs, enabling you to track your marketing, web, and product performance effectively. Through Devhaus and Looker Studio, you can unlock the full potential of your data and drive your business growth. Learn more about our Transformation Solutions and Services here.
For Companies operating in Singapore, there are a couple of government subsidies that you could look into to help finance and subsidise your next strategy project - yes, including LookerStudio and your 1st Party Data Strategy.
Summing it up - If you're a company operating in Singapore, there are a couple of government subsidies that you could look into to help finance and subsidise your next strategy project - including refining your entire digital experience and your CMS and tracking plan for your Analytics.
The Singapore government has a lot of incentives and subsidies for companies to grow.
If you'd like to explore all the available grants, feel free to visit our Singapore grants navigator here
Action steps moving forward
We hope this article has given you a better understanding of customer data platforms and why they're so important to marketers, product leaders and Data team. If you're looking for more information on how Looker Studio can help your business, feel free to contact us today!
- Fill us in on your interest via this form
- Check your email for our booking slot with our beloved sales team
- Walkthrough a discovery session with us and align your desire outcome for your transformation project with us <3
Looking forward to catching up with you soon!